Thursday, October 16, 2008

Warhammer Online one month later...sort of.

For many people, yesterday marked the one month anniversary of playing WAR. I was one of the unfortunate ones that did preorder the game, but was unable to get a beta and head start key from a certain retailer, **coughGamestop blowscough**.

I have spent a good amount of time looking around the blogosphere for comments and concerns both positive and negative on the state of the game one month after launch. Just like everything else in the world, you have those who love the game, and those that think the game is worthless, but everyone agrees that there some areas that need some fixing.

One major concern is the popularity of the scenarios, and the lack of open world RvR because of them, and that the game is grindtastic without said scenarios. The reason why these scenarios are so popular is because it is easier and quicker to gain rank then it is to do questing. The unfortunate side effect is that there tends to be little PvP in the RvR lakes in the game.

There have been many comments on what can be done to remedy the situation in order to move players away from the scenarios and into the RvR lakes. Mythic has taken notice and has taken a few steps in the right direction with the Experience Enhancements that they have introduced in the past week, and only time will tell if it works.

My main concern for WAR is the shallow PvE content in the game. I can only comment on what I've played, but what I have played hasn't been all that great. There are other factors as to why scenarios are so popular than just gaining rank, like the rewards you can earn and the amount of travel it takes to get to and around a RvR lake. But if the PvE was more satisfying, then I think you would see more players out running around and possible doing more open world RvR like Mythic wants.

I personally like the game, but I really enjoy PvE questing, and with the uninspired PvE content, WAR is not keeping my interest like I was hoping it would.

No comments: