Thursday, October 22, 2009

More Modern Warfare talk.

1up has posted a article trying to explain what has the PC gaming community up in arms about Modern Warfare 2's lack of dedicated servers. For those interested, you can read it here.

I would like to quote the last part of the article:

"Whether Infinity Ward caves in and provides server browsing support at a later time remains to be seen, but for the time being, they seem to be sticking by their guns. And rightfully so -- no one has actually seen IWNet in action, so it'll be interesting to see if the hardcore crowd's fears are alleviated when Modern Warfare 2 is released."

As far as I can tell, no one has seen how IWNet works. But the description of IWNet would make one believe that MW2 is adopting the console matchmaking service. What would be great is if Infinity Ward would produce some sort of video that explained and demonstrated in detail what IWNet will be like for the PC gamer.

But in the end this IWNet is probably what us PC gamers believe it to be, a console port. Really what it boils down to is that Activision wants us to pay now for DLC just like the console crowd does, no more freebies like we have grown used to over the years. Infinity Ward can say it's about ease of use, about keeping cheaters out of the game or trying to stop piracy, but really it's about money.

I think I will just buy Activision games used from Gamestop, that way the developers and Activision will not recieve any of my money!

3 comments:

Yeebo said...

I think the lack of mod support is what is most irksome about it. Being forced to pay for any future addons, the variety that will be available becoming greatly reduced (since only "official" ones will be released), and an extra ten bucks right out of the chute all add up to a significantly worse value than past editions.

Marty Runyon said...

PC enthusists have become the second class citizens in the gaming world. This is just the first time that a company has told us that to our faces. Vote with your wallets, everyone!

Jayedub said...

I am confident that the single player is going to be awesome, but Modern Warfare is about the multiplayer.

The reason why this has really gotten under my skin is because I was looking forward to this game drawing some of my old CoD clan friends back and playing with them again.

I know that we can have a friends list and still play together, but I really liked playing on clan servers and having a server of our own. But until I see how this IWNet works, I am going to scratch this one off my must buy list.

I serously think Infinity Ward waited this long to announce the multiplayer setup because they knew the backlash they would get.