Friday, October 16, 2009

Fallen Earth


I finally did it, I took the plunge and bought Fallen Earth last night. I didn't really want to but it from Steam of D2D so I was going to just pick one up at the local Fry's till I saw that I could purchase the game straight from the Fallen Earth website. I thought how awesome, I will save a few bucks and some time by doing the purchase this way.


So the download and install went ok, but that's about all that did. The downloader that I used from the email that I was sent only installed a small portion of the game and the other 4.0gb of files needed to be downloaded.


No problem I thought, I have stuff to do and I can always play on the Xbox to kill time. Don't know about anyone else, but that sounded like a great plan to me, but the Fallen Earth patcher apparently had other ideas as to what I was going to spend my time doing.


The patcher for some unknown reason will only download a certain number of files before it decides that it needs to take a break. It could be five files, it could be five hundred, either way it was going to be a long night if I was going to have to cancel and restart the patcher each time it quits out.


I did check the forums for some information and it seems that I am not the only one to have this problem. There were a few suggestions like try a different downloader or download the beta client from Fileplanet. Being the tired and not thinking one I chose to go with Fileplanet, but no matter each method was going to take me a while.


One everything was downloaded, installed and started patching, I decided that it was time for bed at 0230 in the morning and just left the computer running for the rest of the night to finish with the patch. Woke up this morning to find that the patcher had quit not too long after I had gone to bed. Eventually I was able to get the game to finish patching, but what a hassle. Not a great start.


But I did get to play for a short time today before work. I was able to make my way through the tutorial and am now hanging out in Depot 99.

2 comments:

Yeebo said...

I'll be really interested in impressions once you get going on that. Fallen Earth and Borderlands have both been on my radar for a while.

The only reason I haven't bought borderlands is that I have so much on my plate right now (hell, I still haven't activated my CO retail key), that I'm OK holding out for a demos.

Jayedub said...

Things have been much better once I was able to get the game installed and updated.

I have only played about an hour, but so far I like it. The one mission chain that I did finish was awesome, and if all of them are as entertaining than that's going to be a plus.

So any plans to activate that CO key and join us to vanquish some bad guys?