Saturday, January 16, 2010

STO first impression.

Well, I will start by saying that STO is not the complete failure that I thought it would be. So does that mean it's great, by no means. I have only played maybe an hour and just got myself through the tutorial and into the space station that orbits earth so far. STO is not Champions Online is space, but it does have some similarities, specially in the user interface and menu options.

My first impressions of the ground combat; it's ok. I like that there is sprint and a sprint meter, but the aim mode made little sense to me and it combat itself was very reminiscent of Champions Online.

My first impressions of the space combat; it's the strongest aspect of STO and a whole lot of fun. The space combat is what I was most interested in and also was curious if it was like the ship combat in Pirates of the Burning Sea. I would say that the only similarities between the two would be you have firing arcs and you fight in ships, and they are both fun. Space adds a whole new dimension to the combat because you can attack and be attacked from above or below your ship.

I did have fun in my first hour of playing and I felt like I was in the Star Trek world, which is a good thing. Yes there are some issues, it is still in beta, but I am looking forward to getting home and doing some more space content after the football games!

No comments: