Saturday, September 20, 2008

WAR discussion on Gamespot.

I came across this video on GameSpot today about Warhammer Online, and what the initial impressions are after playing the game for the first week. Watch the video because it is interesting, then I will let you know what stood out to me from what was said.



So, not bad right? I agree. But the thing that caught my attention the most was when the subject of doing a review came up. So 35 hours of gameplay is required officially by GameStop before doing a review, and Kevin VanOrd did around 90 hours of gameplay before posting his review of Age of Conan. That right there sent the red flags up for me. Why you might ask, well why don't you watch his review of AoC and then I will tell you what bothers me.



My problem is that AoC is huge pile of poo. Don't get me wrong, I like the game. The combat is very innovative and satisfying, the visuals are fantastic, the soundtrack is great, and the game features the best starting 20 levels that I've ever played. But that's all it has. The PvP is mediocre, bugs are every where, quest dialog is great but the quests themselves border on the mundane, and the game lacks any real content to retain any long term interest.

So why do I have a problem with what Kevin said? It's the fact that he played 90 hours of a game in less than two weeks after the game was released, and claims that it could be the greatest online rpg ever to come out, of course with a few bug fixes and content updates.

90 hours? Are you serious? Right now WAR is much better than AoC is, so if he gave AoC an 8.5, then I guess WAR will be the next best thing since sliced bread. To be fair, many early reviews gave high scores and high praises as well. I could see myself playing AoC 90 hours and still realizing that the game is a half finished over hyped mess that was released way too early.

What scares me is that WAR will be the greatest online rpg to ever come out, till Wrath of the Lich King comes out, then that will be till the next big thing comes out. My suggestion, never claim that a game will be the greatest ever with some fixing!

No comments: