Friday, January 26, 2018

NXT Takeover: Philadelphia Predictions


Greetings wrestling fans and welcome to my first in what I hope will be many more prediction posts for WWE PPV's. For this one I am going to look at NXT Takeover: Philadelphia. Bear with me, this is my first attempt at something like this, my hope is that over time as I do more of these types of posts that they will be more informative and hopefully interesting.

Please know that this is just my opinion based on watching the product, there are plenty of other professional sites on the internet that can offer you a deeper analysis and insight.

Pre-Show:
Velveteen Dream vs Kassius Ohno:
From what I've read, the only build-up to this match was a quick backstage segment between the two. I don't know when it happened, but I apparently fast forwarded through this part of whichever show it was on because I never saw it. To me this match was put on the card to showcase one of NXT's bright your stars in Velveteen Dream. He had an awesome match against Aleister Black at Takeover: Chicago that was arguably match of the night, and a very good match against Johnny Gargano this past Wednesday. However, both those matches resulted in a loss. Because of that and his growing support from the fan base, I don't see the Dream losing this one to Ohno.

WINNER - VELVETEEN DREAM

Aleister Black vs Adam Cole - Extreme Rules Match
Given the two competitors, this very well could be match of the night. It's hard not to get excited about this match-up, and I'll admit that expectations are quite high for this one. Problem is, I have no idea what to expect for the finish. Arguments can be made for either man winning, and honestly I'd be happy to see either of them on the winning side. What I don't want is some gimmick finish where there's a no contest ending. The popular opinion online seems to think that Cole will get help from his Undisputed Era buddies which could lead to a run-in from Sanity. If done well that could be pretty entertaining. Cole was brought in to be champion, I don't think there's any argument there. But Black losing a second match in a row after going undefeated since debuting makes this one hard to call. I would like to see both these men in a feud that culminates at Takeover: New Orleans, but then again I would love to see Black as a surprise entrant in Sunday's Royal Rumble.

WINNER - ADAM COLE

Adam Fish & Kyle O'Reilly (c) vs Authors of Pain - NXT Tag Title Match
This is probably the second easiest match to predict. Popular opinion believes that AOP will be called up to the red brand so putting the tag titles on them seems silly. AOP have developed since their debut, and I do believe they are way, way better today than they were a year ago this time. However, I have never liked them or their gimmick since the beginning. I think they are terrible wrestlers, terrible workers in the ring, they can't do promos and the only reason they are in WWE is due to their size. When they do make it to the red brand, they are going to steal the tag belts away from a better, more deserving team. That said, I would be surprised if you see AOP on NXT tv again after Saturday.

WINNERS - FISH & O'REILLY

Ember Moon (c) vs Shayna Baszler - NXT Women's Championship
I've read arguments made for either woman winning this match. I side with the opinion that after spending the majority of 2017 chasing the title only to lose it in her first PPV title defense would be devastating for Moon. Frankly no argument for Baszler winning the title now makes any sense. I like her gimmick and the build-up of this match, but it's too soon in my opinion. What I think is Moon picks up the victory from a possible DQ on Baszler with those two feuding till Takeover: New Orleans. Yes it would be great for Ember to be on the main roster and a surprise entrant in the women's rumble if she loses, but I would really like to see more of these two against each other -  it could really build them up to being the top face and heel in the women's division on NXT. I fully expect Baszler and Sane to be in a program together once this feud is over.

WINNER - EMBER MOON

Andrade "Cien" Almas (c) vs Johnny Gargano - NXT Championship
This is the match that will break my heart the most. I saw Almas and Gargano live in San Jose back in August before Takeover: Chicago, and it was match of the night. It was also a really good match at Takeover. After reading some prognostication on this match, I am of the belief that Gargano does not win this match. This match could very well be match of the night based on what I've seen before, so there's no reason not to be excited for this match. I support the opinion that after a great match, Gargano's victory is snatched away due to interference from Tomasso Ciampa. It's unfortunate, but it honestly makes the most sense for a result. If Almas retains, which i think he will, maybe he feuds with Roderick Strong, dropping the belt to him and setting up Strong vs Cole title feud. That would mean Gargano vs Ciampa come Takeover: New Orleans, who doesn't want that!

WINNER - ALMAS

No comments: