Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Operation Anchorage tid bits.

While I was doing my normal web browsing routine this morning, I came across a link to a review of the new DLC for Fallout 3, Operation Anchorage.

Before I get into that, let me say that the first thing I did when I got home from work last night was grab the new DLC and try it out. For me GFWL was installed during the initial installation of Fallout 3, so I did not have a shortcut to start the GFWL client. But, being the computer nerd that I am, I quickly navigated to the GFWL folder, found the .exe file, fired up GFWL, bought my MS points, downloaded the new content, and was on my way.

It was easy. In fact, other than having to find the .exe file, the whole process was as easy as anything I have ever done with Steam. There very well could have been issues the first few hours after the DLC was released, I don't know. What I do know is that all those who filled the Bethesda forums with rubbish about using GFWL need to L2P you PC!!

I am estimating that I have played about an hour of the Operation Anchorage content. I purposefully made a new character so that I could run through the new content before making my way through the main story. I was level 3 when I finally made my to the Brotherhood Outcast base, and have gained three levels since. My low small arms skill and the lack of stimpacks has made AO a nice challenge. Unfortunately I am having a hard time battling the issues that have surfaced after installing a Sejong Ati 3870 video card for crossfire.

So now to the review that I brought up earlier in the post. EuroGamer has a review up already of the new OA content for Fallout 3. The review is a huge fan of Fallout 3 as stated at the end of the article, but seems rather disappointed with the new content. You can check out the review here.

I have a few thoughts on the review. First is that I get the sense that the reviewer, and I'm sure like many Fallout 3 fans, was expecting something different. Second, he took his level 20 to the new content, why?!? Another issue I have is that the review complains about how he spent 7 dollars on something that he didn't enjoy that took almost two and a half hours to complete. Which brings me back to the point that I believe many Fallout fans might have been looking at this as a sort of expansion, which it is most certainly not.

What I will agree with is that Operation Anchorage is very rpg lite and is focused on action instead, which does feel a bit out of place. And I also have not finished to DLC, so I can't comment on the ending, but a common theme on the Bethesda forums seem to be the shortness of OA, and the not so good ending. I guess I will have to wait and see.

No comments: