Thursday, January 29, 2009

New WAR Live Expansion just announced!











Mythic has just announced the new 'Live Expansion' entitled Call to Arms. Check out more info here. The two pics that you see are the two new careers that will be released, the Dwarf Slayer and the Orc Choppa.

The news about those two careers alone make me want to reactivate my account. I know little about the Warhammer Fantasy universe, so my excitement stems not from the lore aspect, but from a gamer aspect that was disappointed that there was not a melee DPS career for both the Greenskins and the Dwarfs.

But the announcement of this being a 'Live Expansion' is what really bothers me. Let me start of by saying that I am not against content what so ever, but it's the play on words that Mythic is using. And not only that, but also the release times for this new content.

When I hear the term Expansion with regards to gaming, I think of a product that has a major impact on the original game with the addition of content and even some balances, tweaks, etc., i.e. WotLK or Mines of Moria.

My other problem with Call to Arms is the amount of time it will take before all the content is released. Mythic has become live event happy, and that's not a bad thing at all. But so far I have yet to be compelled to participate in any of the events because they are just tedious grinds. So now there will be a live event to unlock the two new careers early, then they will be officially released. After that, there will be a live event in both April and May before the new dungeon is released in June. June?!?!?!

I'm sorry, that's not an expansion, that's just free content. I know I am being picky, and it's just a pet peeve of mine about things like this. Honestly, the amount of content that is being released is good, but it's not even on the scale that EQ2 or City of Heroes/Villains release on a regular basis.

But needless to say, it's content, and it's free, and it looks really exciting. I have been reluctant to reactivate my account because I am playing alot of WoW at the moment with some LOTRO on the side, and a third MMO will just drain any time I may have for other games that I want to play. We shall see...

No comments: