Monday, January 31, 2011

My MMO round up.

It seems like a couple of months ago I was claiming that I am done with MMO's for the time being. Since then I re-subbed to LOTRO with their special three month rate and bought both Final Fantasy XIV and DCUO. I don't know why I subbed to LOTRO, I guess I was hoping that something would grab me the way it did about a year ago.

FFXIV was more of an experiment, and for about two weeks it was the only game I could think about. I loved the combat, the game looks fantastic, and the armory system was awesome and probably one of the more original ideas I have seen in a MMO lately. So why am I not playing the game now? Well I advanced as far as I could on my own. I liked the crafting meta game, but the lack of a decent recipe book and the over reliance on a player economy is what killed the fun for me. FFXIV is full of weird design choices, but for those two weeks it was the best thing ever!

As of today I have played DCUO twice for about four hours. I played quite a bit of the beta and right now I am playing a character type that I was able to level to nine in the beta, so I am finding myself a tad bored. I think the game looks fantastic and I enjoy the combat a great deal, but I don't think I will be taking this one past the first month.

Even with only playing FFXIV for two weeks, I feel like I got my money's worth, I'm not even close to that feeling with DCUO, and LOTRO was a complete waste of money. I'm not looking for the next big thing in the MMO genre, I think I've just played so many MMO's and spent so much time playing them that I might just be burnt out. Plus I've purchased quite a few single-player games over the past year and I would really like to play them sometime. It's hard to do that when you have a game you feel obligated to play.

So what does all this mean for me? It means that I am in all probabilities going to give STO one more shot after DCUO is over, but after that I'm done with MMO's for sure. That is till TOR!

8 comments:

mbp said...

If you really want an mmo break Magicka is where it is at at the moment. Addictive anarchic yet strangely challenging fun. Multiplayer is reportedly quite buggy but single player is a total blast.

Anonymous said...

Mmo tourists assemble !

To be honest I feel your pain, im a gamer who has to have an mmo to play. After cancelling my wow sub im now dabbling in LotRO and champions online for something a bit different. Of the two I actually am finding myself drawn into LotRO, its a very complex mmo for someone used to the milk and cookie land of wow.

Hope you find your game soon ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, you can try jump into the Rift's wagon...

There are 2 beta events coming before launch.

João Carlos

Jayedub said...

@mbp - Magicka looks like a lot of fun, and the price is very nice!

@Pitrelli - MMO tourist indeed! I think and hope that TOR will draw me in like WoW did for so many years. WoW is a great game, but I've played the game so much over the years that I think I'm just done with it, but you never know with us MMO tourists!

@Carlos - I wasn't interested in Rift till I talked to a buddy of mine who preordered the game. I do want to check it out and see what this game has to offer.

Marty Runyon said...

You'll never break the habit because there will always be just one more. I think it's time to try MMOs Anonymous.

Thanks right, this is an intervention!

Anonymous said...

@Jayedub

That is the reason I said for you try get a beta key. There are two beta events coming.

Beta is free and you can test the game.

I too had no interest for Rift. Then I gained a key for Beta 4...

Yeebo said...

Nothing coming up really excites me apart from SWTOR. However, that doesn't mean there aren't till a ton of MMOs currently out that I'd like to visit or revisit.

Jayedub said...

Hi, my name is Jason, and I am addicted to MMO's (insert gasp and ominous music)! I've made it to step 4, but if I make it to step 5 I get some cool armor!