Saturday, January 15, 2011

Final Fantasy XIV?

It was just a couple of weeks ago that I was claiming MMO burnout for myself, and now here I am playing Final Fantasy XIV and I can't seem to get enough of it. The developers tried very hard to create an MMO that is different than what's on the market now, and they succeeded, but I don't think it's necessarily a good thing. There are quite a few design choices that have to make you wonder just what the hell they were thinking when developing this game. One thing's for sure, I am really enjoying the game right now, probably because it is different but I don't know if how long that will last.

As much as I want to play I have work and a lot of football to watch this weekend so that will help slow me down some.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Hey Jaye,

It's a good game. Honestly, what pulled me away was this cloud of negativity that surrounded it. Every time I'd read or write about it, all I'd hear was how bad it was, or how could I stand this or that. Then my linkshell slowly started dying until there were only about three of us logging in. It just felt... bleak. I liked the game, I really did, but once that stigma set in, I guess I just couldn't shake it.

Take it and have fun with it, man. I'll be back at some point, without a doubt. Just don't let the naysayers get you down like they did for me.

Marty Runyon said...

Nice to hear you are enjoying it. From all accounts, it sounds like there is some fun to be gleamed from FFXIV for some people. It's too bad they didn't get enough right so that you have to dig for the good stuff.

Jayedub said...

@Chris - Yeah, all I have heard about the game was how bad it is. I read some recent user reviews that really helped me decided to give the game a chance. There are some odd design choices with the game, but it runs really well, looks great and I love the armory system and the combat. I don't know if I will stick with the game after the free month, but I am getting my money's worth which is all I could ask for.

@Anjin - The desire to be so different gives FFXIV a huge learning curve, and there's very little in the way of hand holding. The more I figure out the more fun I am having, but it's really easy to see why someone would not like this game right off the bat.