Monday, August 3, 2015

It's a Skyforge Thing!


The last few posts have all been about Marvel Heroes, a game that I love quite a bit. However, I have only played a total of three times since the release of Ant-Man. What could cause me to stop playing a game I love so much? Well it's a combination of working a new job and Skyforge. That's right, Skyforge.

Skyforge is a new free-to-play MMO from the Allods Team, the developers who made Allods Online oddly enough. Unlike games such as Everquest 2, Lord of the Rings Online or The Old Republic that started with a subscription model then moved to a f2p model, Skyforge was built from the ground up as f2p.

Why does that matter you might ask? Because those other sub to free games lock content behind a subscription; Skyforge instead goes the premium account route similar to what you find in World of Tanks, meaning players have access to all content all the time. It would be similar to The Secret World or Elder Scrolls Online, just without the initial purchase.

The difference didn't really sink in till I played TOR one afternoon after spending loads of time in Skyforge. The amount of stuff locked behind a sub or the Cartel Market is staggering. Don't get me wrong, I am not against TOR's f2p model, I was just surprised to notice the differences.

Well, that's enough about that. At some point I'll get back into Marvel Heroes, or some of the other games in my backlog. But until then, I am quite enjoying Skyforge.

2 comments:

Marty Runyon said...

That's really cool. I haven't looked into Skyforge yet, but I've heard good things about it.

Congratulations on the new job, by the way.

Jayedub said...

Hey, thanks. Skyforge is not for the casual, so be prepared.