Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Little Bit On WAR.

I just wanted to give a couple of quick thoughts about the Warhammer Online closure. WAR released five years ago and it's safe to say it launched with huge expectations. Unfortunately WAR was never able to live up to the hype.

I will admit to being surprised when I read the article on Massively last night that WAR was permanently ending in December, yet I had been expecting this announcement for quite some time. I really liked WAR, it was the first MMO that I really wanted to get better at PvP since it was such a large part of the game. So much so that I purchased my first Razer Naga after using a trackball mouse for years.

It's sad to see a game that you once enjoyed end but I don't regret not playing WAR all these years as there have been other MMO's that I have enjoyed more. I'm sure we'll see a flood of blog posts doing some sort of post mortem which is fitting. It's unfortunate that use of the Warhammer license is such that going f2p can't keep WAR from shutting down. Reminds me of SOE and Matrix Online. Now that's a game I regret not playing more of.

So to sum up my few thoughts: I liked WAR, we'll probably never see another MMO using the Warhammer Fantasy setting, I'm sad to see it's closing down but it's probably for the best.

No comments: