Sunday, May 19, 2013

Roadmapping The Backlog.

Wow, so it's been just over three months since my last blog post, talk about neglect. Even before that my posting history has been nothing short of sporadic anyways. I've been so inactive that I doubt I'm on any one's reader anymore, and speaking of reader, I am going to have to find a replacement for Google Reader here pretty quick.

I really hate having a backlog, I even dislike using the term as well. When I listen to various podcasts and the backlog is brought up in conversation it seems like it's a revered thing, as if it's some right of passage for the "core" gamer. I know for myself it's sales coupled with liking too many different types of games. I like RPG's, RTS's, MMO's, shooters, sports game - well you get the idea.

What I had done over the past year to alleviate the backlog pressure was break up my games into two lists: those games that I need to play and those that I wouldn't mind playing but won't feel guilty if I don't. One thing I have done to help myself was curb my spending, specially when there's a sale going on. Sure I want to play those games, but when am I going to find the time between life, MMO's and what ever other game I'm playing to play that shiny new game I bought on sale?

For the past month I've been working two jobs and have only had one day off each week, so as you can imagine my game time has been cut way down. After I finished Tomb Raider the other day (spoiler: I hated it!), I found myself in a situation where I wasn't sure what to move to next in the virtual stack. I'm waiting for Marvel Heroes in June, there's the Rift F2P coming as well on top of the few other MMO's I've started playing again and the monster that is League of Legends which eats up a bit of time. It's a time management issue really.

I'm a big proponent of the idea that you play what you feel like playing at the time, but I thought maybe creating a list, a roadmap as it were, might help me manage my time better and give me a better understanding of just how many games I have that I truly need to play. It could be way too daunting and overwhelming which might cause me to break down and cry, but it's worth a try.

This of course is just a tool to help me and things can and will probably change. A few months ago I was planning on playing through all three Mass Effect games, even started the first game again. Something came up, my interest changed and I have yet to get back to Mass Effect.

We'll see just how far I get into this project, but for now it sounds like a good idea.

4 comments:

kaozz said...

You're still in my reader! I read everything on my phone, I use feedly. I was using flipboard, but it quit working right for me, loved it though.

I know how it is with time and posting, I get strapped for time these days and feel my blog is too neglected. Good to see you posting again!!

Jayedub said...

I will admit to being surprised that I have a comment, thanks!

I did a small amount of research into using a new reader and feedly was a name that came up so I'm going to have to look into it.

mbp said...

I recommend linking your blog to twitter so that if you do make a post it comes up on your twitter feed. I use Twitterfeed but there are probably other ways to do it.

With regard to the backlog question. I have come to realise that if I don't install and start playing a game within a week of purchasing it then there is a very good chance I will never get around to playing it. Realising this has allowed me to become more disciplined with respect to on-line sales.

There is a very small number of "essential" games which I know I am definitely going to make time to play. I will buy one of those as soon as I see it at a good price regardless of whether or not I am immediately able to play it. Other than I will only buy a game if I am ready to play it straight away, regardless of how much of a bargain it seems.

Of course my discipline cracks every so often but for the most part this strategy is working. I didn't buy anything during the Christmas Steam Sale for example because I already had all the "essential" titles and I resisted the temptation to buy a whole bunch of stuff I never heard of.

Jayedub said...

Yeah, sales are my weakness, I find it hard to pass up a good deal. But honestly I'm getting better!