Monday, March 7, 2011

It's Heavy, Like the Rain.

Heavy Rain has been a game that I've been wanting to play since it's release. It seems like a polarizing game, you either love it or hate it, and if neither then you probably haven't played it long enough.

For me I am really enjoying the game, much more than I thought I would. I rarely purchase new console games based on a silly principle I have (they are too expensive), so I picked it up used for less than twenty-five bucks. Now that's a deal.

For those who may not know, the story is based around a person called the Origami Killer who kidnaps and kills children, specifically boys. As someone with a three year old son I was a bit worried that the premise of the story would be too much to handle, and so far it has not. But with that in mind I do think that has helped me to identify with one of the main characters in the game because of the love I have for my son.

So far the story is pretty good. The game has this interesting mix of having some of the best visuals in a PS3 game with some of the best visuals in a PS2 game, meaning there is some great looking stuffed mixed in with a lot of crap. The acting is hit or miss, but it's bearable. The controls however are a mess. I think the main issue is using the R2 button to walk around, that was an absolutely terrible idea, but it hasn't been enough to take away my enjoyment of the game.

I do recommend that everyone who owns a PS3 give Heavy Rain a try, if for nothing else to see a game that is trying something different.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG yes, the controls were infuriating. It was doubly worse since at the time my PS3 was new and I was still trying to get used to the feel of the controller in my hand. None of the buttons felt very intuitive for me.

Marty Runyon said...

If I owned a PS3, this is one of the games I would have to try. It does sound like a fascinating experience, even if you are driving your character around like a vehicle.

(I have to admit that, after reading all of your tweets, I much looking forward to what you have to say about DOWII:Retribution.)

Jayedub said...

Any future adventure games should seriously consider having better controls and a movable camera, cause those two things gave me the biggest headache in this game.

@Anjin - Some thoughts on Retribution you say, I might be able to do something like that. Now that I finished Heavy Rain I will be jumping back into that game I have an Imperial Guard campaign that I am enjoying that needs to be finished.

At some point when things settle down for you and you pick it up we should play some coop!