Wednesday, December 10, 2008

That time of the year again!

That's right, it's time for the Game of the Year picks that every gaming website and publication known to man do every year. The time of year when games that have been only released for only a little over a month get nominated, and even win!

I came across this article at 1up about how Fable 2 has won X-Play's 2008 GotY award. Excuse me?!? You're kidding right, Fable 2?!? Yes, Fable 2 is much better than the first Fable, but most of the games on X-Play's list are far better than Fable 2.

I hated Gears of War, thought it was highly overrated and dull, but loved Gears 2, thought Epic did a wonderful job, how does that not get GotY. GTA IV and MGS 4 both get perfect scores in many reviews, but apparently not good enough to get GotY. So what about Fallout 3, it came out just about the same time as Fable 2, and even received higher scores on average, but I guess since you can't get married and you dog companion doesn't find every useless piece of crap buried in the ground it doesn't get to be GotY.

Fable 2 is an excellent game, and I would highly recommend that everyone play it. But it's not nearly as good as Fallout 3 or Gears of War 2, and to a degree even GTA IV. As a side note, I hate everything Metal Gear, so no one should ever play any MGS game, it's the worst gaming franchise ever.

I firmly believe that if Fable wasn't such a flying bag of poo, then Fable 2 would only have been received as maybe a mediocre game. I'm sorry, but having to get a job and being able to get married and have kids is not my idea of fun, I already have both of those in real life, do I need to emulate real life in a game that I am playing to get away from real life?

For those of you who voted for or think that Fable 2 should be GotY, I need you to do something for me- hold out your left arm, make a fist with your left hand, then try to make your fist go through your face. Do that repeatedly till you fall over bleeding, and that should let you know how much I think about Fable 2 getting GotY.

No comments: